Louth, 15th August 2010
Today we are celebrating the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. For some of us this is a great feast and a great mystery. But maybe some find it strange, odd, old-fashioned, mythical or even fabled, like news about UFO or like interesting episode from star wars: the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
It’s not easy to say a good sermon about Mary, mother of Jesus, but let me put one question: “What is saint Mary for?” and let me say 10 reasons for making a special place for her in our religion and in our life.
1. First of all, Mary, Anna’s and Joachim’s daughter, born probably in Jerusalem, married to Joseph, is mother of Jesus Christ, who has brought us salvation and established the Church. Even if some don’t believe in God he must to admit that for 2 billion people she is the mother of the most important person in their life. Even if some don’t believe in Church, they have to acknowledge that she is the mother of somebody who founded the greatest and the oldest organization in the world.
2. Secondly, as a mother of Christ, Mary is a subject, topic and theme of uncountable number of songs, poems, films, paintings, sculptures, booklet, book, and dissertations.
3. Thirdly, approximately, one billion people pray every day Hail Mary calling her intercession and help. I don’t know how many people pray to President Obama…
4. Fourthly, Mary was present in most outstanding and intriguing revelations in the history: Lourdes, Fatima, La Salette, Guadalupe, Medjougoure, even the last is not yet confirmed. We may not believe such a thing, but it’s enough to go to those places to see what the Mother of God can do for the people and with the people.
5. Fifthly, Mary shows us how to answer God’s word. In Nazareth, where the angel Gabriel announced her that she would be a mother of Jesus, even though she was virgin, she said: “I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word”. She is a model and pattern of how we should hear and receive the word of the God.
6. Sixthly, her Son was crucified and she was there: present and suffering. Saint Mary, she is a solace and a support to the people who lost children. No revenge, no vengeance, no hate, but only tears, pray and forgiveness. She is the best friend to the people who cannot forgive.
7. Seventhly, she is the mother of the believers. Jesus said from the Cross: “Woman, this is your Son”. Then to the disciple he said: “This is your mother”. And the whole tradition of the Church sees in this act the beginning of the special relationship between Mother of God and the people who believe in him. If you believe in your hart you are sure, you are not alone, especially in those moments of life when God seems to be a long way.
8. Eighthly, according to Church, Mary intercedes between God and us and there is something special in her intercession. There are a lot of sanctuaries in the world when the people received miracles and other graces praying to Mother of God. They are some people who are so convinced of her help that they dare to say as saint Bernard: “Remember, o most loving Virgin Mary, that it is a thing unheard of, that anyone ever had recourse to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, and was left forsaken” or as one polish cardinal in the time of Communism: “If will the victory come, it will come only through saint Mary”.
9. Ninthly, Saint Mary, after she died, was taken into the heaven with the soul and body. The Church has believed it quite since the beginning of his history, but it was announced solemnly only in 1950. What for? Not only to say the truth about the Mother of God but also to say truth about our end and our destiny. This is wonderful we will meet together. It’s only the matter of time. The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary says to us: “Don’t be afraid of your life and of your problems”. Your future is in heaven. With saint Mary, with God, with your ancestors and your family. It doesn’t depend on the faith. It depends only on the time.
10. The last reason for celebrating saint Mary, I’d like to leave for you. Try to find, please, your reason, cause and ground to make a special place for Mary in your life. Maybe this feast is a good opportunity to speak about Mother of Jesus in your family, at home, and to revalue, to think over and to have a rethink about the women, who all generations call blessed.